HOW TO GET YOUR TEACHER CERTIFICATION IN UTAH
Interested in teaching in the state of Utah? With a Bachelor’s degree and a desire to make a difference, the American Board can help you achieve your dream.
WHAT MAKES THE AMERICAN BOARD DIFFERENT?
The American Board, also known as The American Board for the Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE), offers a flexible, affordable path to earn your teaching certificate in Utah. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job or taking additional college courses.
The American Board is also extremely cost-efficient. Compare the cost of our program (less than $3000 in most cases) to the cost of taking 25-30 credit hours at a state university and it’s no competition.
Plus, we let candidates complete our program at their own pace. On average, our candidates take 8-10 months to complete the program.
UTAH STATE TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
To use a teaching certificate from the American Board for the Certification of Teacher Excellence in the state of Utah, candidates will need to complete the following steps:
1. Be accepted into the Utah Alternative Routes to Teacher Licensing (ARL) program.
2. Obtain a teaching position in a Utah school.
3. Obtain a Utah ARL Professional Growth Plan. This plan is set by the Utah State Office of Education and is catered to each individual going through the program. Contact the Utah State Office of Education at 801-538-7740 or visit their website to learn more about this plan.
4. Complete the ABCTE program.
5. Complete one year or more of full-time teaching in a Utah school as an ARL participant.
6. Complete one year or more of mentoring. Mentoring programs are offered at no cost through the school where a teacher is hired.
7. Complete all other Utah ARL requirements as outlined in a Professional Growth Plan.
8. Candidates must receive a recommendation from their principal and Utah ARL Advisor to upgrade to a Level 1 Utah Professional Educator License.
THE AMERICAN BOARD IN UTAH
The Utah State Board of Education approved the American Board as a route to full teacher licensure in 2004. The Utah State Office of Education fully recognizes the American Board certification for all school districts and charter schools in the state. Learn more about our partner districts here.
We offer certifications in a variety of subjects. Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
- Biology (6-12)
- Chemistry (6-12)
- Elementary Education (K-6)
- English Language Arts (6-12)
- General Science (6-12)
- History (6-12)
- Mathematics (6-12)
- Physics (6-12)
- Special Education (K-12)
Choose a subject area above to learn more about our program!
Or call 1-877-669-2228 (option 1) to speak with a representative of The American Board.
To learn more about the American Board program, attend a free information session in your area. See the list of upcoming events here.
No event in your area? Check out our pre-recorded Information Session by clicking here.
You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.