HOW TO GET YOUR TEACHER CERTIFICATION IN SOUTH CAROLINA
Interested in teaching in the state of South Carolina? With a Bachelor’s degree and a desire to make a difference, the American Board can help you achieve your dream.
WHAT MAKES THE AMERICAN BOARD DIFFERENT?
The American Board, also known as The American Board for the Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE), offers a flexible, affordable path to earn your teaching certificate in South Carolina. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job or taking additional college courses.
The American Board is also extremely cost-efficient. Compare the cost of our program (less than $3000 in most cases) to the cost of taking 25-30 credit hours at a state university and it’s no competition.
Plus, we let candidates complete our program at their own pace. On average, our candidates take 8-10 months to complete the program.
SOUTH CAROLINA TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
To use a teaching certificate from the American Board for the Certification of Teacher Excellence in the state of South Carolina, candidates will need to complete the following steps:
1. Complete the ABCTE certification program
2. Apply for a Statement of Eligibility from South Carolina Department of Education (Office of Educator Certification)
3. Obtain an offer of employment from a South Carolina public school, and provide verification of the offer to the Office of Educator Certification.
4. Receive an Alternate Route Teaching Certificate. This certificate is temporary and will initially be valid for 1 year. After your first year of teaching, you will then need to renew the Alternate Route Teaching Certificate for two additional years.
5. Teach for 3 years while completing introductory and formal teacher evaluation requirements. These requirements are specific to your school district.
6. Within your first 3 years of teaching, pass the Praxis exam in Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT).
7. Apply to upgrade your Alternate Route Teaching Certificate to a Professional Teaching Certificate. This certificate will need to be renewed every 5 years throughout your career.
Contact the South Carolina Department of Education at 803-896-0325 or visit their website to learn more about these requirements.
THE AMERICAN BOARD IN SOUTH CAROLINA
The South Carolina state General Assembly passed House Bill 3476 in 2007, thus approving the American Board as a route to teacher licensure in South Carolina. The South Carolina Department of Education fully recognizes the American Board certification for all school districts and charter schools in the state. Learn more about our partner districts here.
We offer certifications in a variety of subjects. Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
- Biology (9-12)
- Chemistry (9-12)
- English Language Arts (6-12)
- General Science (6-12)
- Mathematics (6-12)
- Physics (9-12)
Choose a subject area above to learn more about our program!
Or call 1-877-669-2228 (option 1) to speak with a representative of The American Board.
To learn more about the American Board program, attend a free information session in your area. See the list of upcoming events here.
No event in your area? Check out our pre-recorded Information Session by clicking here.
You can also email us at email@example.com.