Teacher Certification Program in South Carolina
With a Bachelor’s degree in hand and a desire to make a difference, you can become a certified teacher with the help of the American Board. In June 2007, the state General Assembly passed House Bill 3476 which approved the American Board as a route to teacher licensure in South Carolina. The South Carolina Department of Education fully recognizes the American Board’s certification for all school districts and charter schools in the state.
Why Choose the American Board?
The American Board offers a flexible, affordable route to earning a South Carolina teaching certificate. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job or taking additional college courses.
With the American Board, you can earn your South Carolina teacher certification in a manner that is both cost-effective and efficient. On average, candidates take 8-10 months to complete the program. We provide a variety of resources to help prepare you for exams including online workshops, practice tests, and support from our advising team.
We are the only route in the state that does not require additional college coursework. Other alternative routes in South Carolina require a bachelor’s degree in the subject you wish to teach, as well as additional college coursework.
The American Board’s 2013 National Teacher of the Year Shelley Dalpiaz was a microbiologist who now teaches Algebra at Cane Bay High School in Summerville, South Carolina. “The American Board program gave me the opportunity to become a teacher without having to start from scratch,” said Dalpiaz. She combines her “love for math and science to help kids get away from the fact that math is boring.”
Like Dalpiaz, there are many career changers who have earned their certification through the American Board, including math teacher Wanda Martin and Blake Hedden, who is teaching at the South Carolina high school he once attended.
To learn more or enroll, choose your certification area.
To use the ABCTE program to obtain a teaching certificate in South Carolina, you will:
1. Complete the ABCTE certification program.
- a. Certificate should be used within 3 years
- b. ABCTE certificate is used in step 1 below
South Carolina Department of Education Requirement for using ABCTE certificate
Degree must be from a regionally accredited college.
1. Apply for a Statement of Eligibility from South Carolina Department of Education (Office of Educator Certification).
2. Obtain an offer of employment from a South Carolina public school, and provide verification of the offer to the Office of Educator Certification.
3. Receive a one year, renewable for 2 yrs, Alternate Route Certificate.
4. Teach for 3 years, complete induction and formal teacher evaluation requirements (specific to school district), and pass the Praxis exam in Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT).
5. Apply for the 5 year Professional Certificate
No event in your area? Interested in finding out more? Check out our pre-recorded Information Session by clicking here.
Click Here to start a webinar and live Q & A. Our Sales agents are available 7 days a week 09:00AM – 12:00AM (EST) via chat to answer your questions and help you enroll.