Become a Teacher in Pennsylvania
The American Board can help you change careers and become a teacher in Pennsylvania. In November 2002, the Pennsylvania Department of Education approved the American Board as a route to full teacher licensure. The Pennsylvania Department of Education fully recognizes the American Board certification for all school districts and charter schools in the state.
Why Choose The American Board?
The American Board offers a flexible, affordable route to earn your Pennsylvania teaching certificate. You can complete our self-paced online program in less than one year, without quitting your job. On average, candidates take 8-10 months to complete the program. We provide a variety of resources to help prepare you for exams including online workshops, practice tests, and program support.
The American Board has issued more than 3500 certifications to date, with over 200 being issued in Pennsylvania.
With the American Board, you can earn your Pennsylvania teacher certification in a manner that is both cost-effective and efficient. The average cost for the American Board and post-certification requirements is between $5,000-8,000. Compare this to the $13,000-21,000 to obtain a two or four-year education degree in Pennsylvania.
To learn more or enroll, choose your certification area.
- Biology (7-12)
- Chemistry (7-12)
- English Language Arts (7-12)
- General Science (7-12)
- Mathematics (7-12)
- Physics (7-12)
To use the ABCTE program to obtain a teaching certificate in Pennsylvania, you will need to:
1. Complete the ABCTE program
- a. Certificate should be used within 3 years
- b. Use certificate in step 2 below
1. Obtain a teaching position in a Pennsylvania school
2. Apply for a Temporary Teaching Permit (TTP) (1 year) with the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) through the electronic TIMS system. Be sure to include:
- a. An authorization to ABCTE releasing your score reports to PDE
- b. A photocopy of the front and back of your ABCTE certificate
- c. Completed ABCTE Temporary Teaching Permit Application Addendum
- d. A sealed official copy of your bachelor’s degree college transcript
3. Transform your TTP into an Instructional I Certificate by completing:
- a. PDE Mentoring program for ABCTE teachers through Pt. Park University.
- b. Two graduate level courses through Pt. Park University. Full details on the post-certification requirements can be found on Pt. Park’s website. These requirements cannot be fulfilled while teaching in a cyber charter school.
Point Park University information for ABCTE
No event in your area? Interested in finding out more? Check out our pre-recorded Information Session by clicking here.
Click Here to start a webinar and live Q & A. Our Sales agents are available 7 days a week 09:00AM – 12:00AM (EST) via chat to answer your questions and help you enroll.