HOW TO GET YOUR TEACHER CERTIFICATION IN OKLAHOMA
Interested in teaching in the state of Oklahoma? With a Bachelor’s degree and a desire to make a difference, the American Board can help you achieve your dream.
WHAT MAKES THE AMERICAN BOARD DIFFERENT?
The American Board, also known as The American Board for the Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE), offers a flexible, affordable path to earn your teaching certificate in Oklahoma. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job or taking additional college courses.
The American Board is also extremely cost-efficient. Compare the cost of our program (less than $3000 in most cases) to the cost of taking 25-30 credit hours at a state university and it’s no competition.
Plus, we let candidates complete our teacher preparation program at their own pace. On average, our candidates take 8-10 months to complete the program.
OKLAHOMA STATE TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
To use a teaching certificate from the American Board for the Certification of Teacher Excellence in the state of Oklahoma, candidates will need to complete the following steps:
1. Complete the ABCTE program
2. Obtain a full-time teaching position
3. Apply to the Oklahoma State Board of Education for a one-year, non-renewable secondary or middle level teaching license
4. Apply concurrently for the ABCTE Mentoring Program ($595)
5. During your first year in the classroom, complete 1 year of ABCTE’s mentoring program. In order to begin the mentoring program, you must:
a. Must be teaching in your ABCTE certified subject area
b. Select your mentor. After approval and training by ABCTE, he/she will observe you at least 6 times during the school year.
c. Work with your mentor after each observation to improve your teaching practices
d. Once all criteria has been met, receive a certificate of completion from ABCTE
6. After completing your first year of teaching and mentorship program, apply for the Oklahoma Standard License, a 5-year renewable permanent teaching certificate. This certificate will be renewed throughout your career.
For more information about the certification requirements, call 405-521-3301 or visit the Oklahoma State Department of Education’s website for more information.
THE AMERICAN BOARD IN OKLAHOMA
Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry signed alternative teacher certification legislation in April 2009, approving the American Board as a route to full teacher licensure. The Oklahoma State Department of Education fully recognizes the American Board certification for all school districts in the state. Learn more about our partner districts here.
We offer certifications in a variety of subjects. Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
* Oklahoma allows candidates to certify in World History and/or United States History.
Select the subject area of your choice above or Enroll Now!
Call (405) 445 – 1787 to speak with a representative of the American Board for answers to any questions you may have.
To learn more about the American Board program, attend a free information session in your area. See the list of upcoming events here.
No event in your area? Check out our pre-recorded Information Session by clicking here.
You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.