HOW TO GET YOUR TEACHER CERTIFICATION IN OKLAHOMA
The American Board, offers a flexible, affordable path to earn your teaching certificate in Oklahoma. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job or taking additional college courses.
OKLAHOMA STATE TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
To use a teaching certificate from the American Board for the Certification of Teacher Excellence in the state of Oklahoma, candidates will need to complete the following steps:
1. Complete the ABCTE program
2. Obtain a full-time teaching position
3. Apply to the Oklahoma State Board of Education for a one-year, non-renewable secondary or middle level teaching license
4. Apply concurrently for the ABCTE Mentoring Program ($595)
5. During your first year in the classroom, complete 1 year of ABCTE’s mentoring program. In order to begin the mentoring program, you must:
a. Must be teaching in your ABCTE certified subject area
b. Select your mentor. After approval and training by ABCTE, he/she will observe you at least 4 times during the school year.
c. Work with your mentor after each observation to improve your teaching practices
d. Once all criteria has been met, receive a certificate of completion from ABCTE
6. After completing your first year of teaching and mentorship program, apply for the Oklahoma Standard License, a 5-year renewable permanent teaching certificate. This certificate will be renewed throughout your career.
For more information about the certification requirements, call 405-521-3301 or visit the Oklahoma State Department of Education’s website for more information.
Certification Areas Available
We offer certifications in a variety of subjects. Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
* Oklahoma allows candidates to certify in World History and/or United States History.
Select the subject area of your choice above to Enroll Now!
Call 877-669-2228 or email us at Contact@americanboard.org to speak with our team about starting a new career as a teacher in Oklahoma.
The American Board is approved for Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) funding in the state of Oklahoma. To learn more about how you could receive funding for your certification, visit Oklahoma Job Match.