Get Teacher Certification in Oklahoma
The American Board can help you change careers and become a teacher in Oklahoma. In April 2009, Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry signed alternative teacher certification legislation approving the American Board as a route to full teacher licensure. The Oklahoma State Department of Education fully recognizes the American Board certification for all school districts in the state.
Why Choose the American Board?
The American Board offers a flexible, affordable route to earn your Oklahoma teaching certificate. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job or taking additional college courses.
With the American Board, you can obtain your Oklahoma teacher certification in a manner that is both cost-effective and efficient. On average, candidates take 8-10 months to complete the program. We provide a variety of resources to help prepare you for exams including online workshops, practice tests, and support from our advising team. The American Board program costs $1995 for initial preparation and $595 for mentoring during your first year in the classroom. Compare this to the $7,000 cost of other routes in Oklahoma.
Please note that Oklahoma State Department of Education requires all candidates seeking American Board certification to enroll in the American Board’s Teacher Residency Program during their first year in the classroom.
To learn more or enroll, choose your certification area.
* Oklahoma allows candidates to certify in World History and/or United States History.
To use the ABCTE program to obtain a teaching certificate in Oklahoma, you will:
1. Complete ABCTE’s certification program
- a. Certificate should be used within 3 years
- b. ABCTE certificate is used in step 1 below
Oklahoma Department of Education requirements for using ABCTE certificate:
1. Obtain a full-time teaching position
2. Apply to the Oklahoma State Board of Education for a one-year, nonrenewable secondary or middle level license
3. Apply concurrently for ABCTE Mentoring Program ($595)
4. During first year in the classroom, complete 1 year of ABCTE’s mentoring program.
In order to begin the mentoring program
- a. Must be teaching your ABCTE certified subject area
- b. Our mentoring program combines the unique Classroom Assessment Scoring System (CLASS) developed by the University of Virginia and criteria developed by ABCTE.
- c. Enroll and receive access to the CLASS video library and workbook, with examples of excellent teaching.
- d. Select your mentor. After approval and training by ABCTE, he/she will observe you at least 6 times during the school year
- e. Work with your mentor after each observation to improve your teaching practices
- f. Once all criteria have been met, receive a certificate of completion from ABCTE
5. Apply for the Oklahoma Standard License, a 5-year renewable certificate
No event in your area? Interested in finding out more? Check out our pre-recorded Information Session by clicking here.
Click Here to start a webinar and live Q & A. Our Sales agents are available 7 days a week 09:00AM – 12:00AM (EST) via chat to answer your questions and help you enroll.