HOW TO GET YOUR TEACHER CERTIFICATION IN OKLAHOMA
The American Board, offers a flexible, affordable path to earn your teaching certificate in Oklahoma. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job or taking additional college courses.
OKLAHOMA STATE TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
To use a teaching certificate from the American Board for the Certification of Teacher Excellence in the state of Oklahoma, candidates will need to complete the following steps:
1. Complete the ABCTE program
2. Obtain a full-time teaching position
3. Apply to the Oklahoma State Board of Education for a one-year, non-renewable secondary or middle level teaching license
4. Apply concurrently for the ABCTE Mentoring Program ($595)
5. During your first year in the classroom, complete 1 year of ABCTE’s mentoring program. In order to begin the mentoring program, you must:
a. Must be teaching in your ABCTE certified subject area
b. Select your mentor. After approval and training by ABCTE, he/she will observe you at least 4 times during the school year.
c. Work with your mentor after each observation to improve your teaching practices
d. Once all criteria has been met, receive a certificate of completion from ABCTE
6. After completing your first year of teaching and mentorship program, apply for the Oklahoma Standard License, a 5-year renewable permanent teaching certificate. This certificate will be renewed throughout your career.
For more information about the certification requirements, call 405-521-3301 or visit the Oklahoma State Department of Education’s website for more information.
Certification Areas Available
We offer certifications in a variety of subjects. Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
* Oklahoma allows candidates to certify in World History and/or United States History.
Select the subject area of your choice above to Enroll Now!
Call 877-669-2228 or email us at Contact@americanboard.org to speak with our team about starting a new career as a teacher in Oklahoma.