HOW TO GET YOUR TEACHER CERTIFICATION IN MISSISSIPPI
Interested in teaching in the state of Mississippi? With a Bachelor’s degree and a desire to make a difference, the American Board can help you achieve your dream.
WHAT MAKES THE AMERICAN BOARD DIFFERENT?
The American Board, also known as The American Board for the Certification of Teacher Excellence (ABCTE), offers a flexible, affordable path to earn your teaching certificate in Mississippi. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job or taking additional college courses.
The American Board is also extremely cost-efficient. Compare the cost of our program (less than $3000 in most cases) to the cost of taking 25-30 credit hours at a state university and it’s no competition.
Plus, we let candidates complete our teacher preparation program at their own pace. On average, our candidates take 8-10 months to complete the program.
MISSISSIPPI STATE TEACHING REQUIREMENTS
To use a certificate from the American Board for the Certification of Teacher Excellence to teach in the state of Mississippi, candidates will need to meet the following requirements:
1. MUST hold a Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 overall and 2.75 in your major.
2. Have an ACT score of 21 or higher. If you have an ACT score of less than a 21, you must take and pass the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators examination.
3. Take and pass the Praxis II examination in the subject area you would like to teach.
Once you meet these requirements, you will need to complete the following steps:
1. Complete the ABCTE program
2. Obtain a teaching position in a Mississippi school
3. Apply to the Mississippi Department of Education for a state-issued initial alternate teaching license. This license is only good for one year and is non-renewable.
4. Complete one of the following:
a. Mississippi e-Learning for Educators 8 week online course
b. The Mississippi Alternate Path to Quality Teachers (MAPQT) 3-week summer course
c. 6 hours of MAT (Classroom Management, Tests, and Measurements) graduate-level university courses. Hours can be applied towards a master’s degree.
5. While teaching, complete a one year mentoring program. Mentoring programs are offered at no cost by most MS school districts
6. During your first year of teaching, apply to the Mississippi Board of Education to upgrade your initial alternate teaching license into a state-issued standard teaching license. This license will need to be renewed every five years throughout your career.
THE AMERICAN BOARD IN MISSISSIPPI
The Mississippi Department of Education approved the American Board as a route to full teacher licensure in 2006. The Mississippi Department of Education fully recognizes the American Board certification for all school districts and charter schools in the state. Learn more about our partner districts here.
We offer certifications in a variety of subjects. Choose a subject below to learn more about the requirements to teach that subject:
Select the subject area of your choice above or Enroll Now!
Call 877-669-2228 (Option 1) to speak with a representative of the American Board for answers to any questions you may have.
To learn more about the American Board program, attend a free information session in your area. See the list of upcoming events here.
No event in your area? Check out our pre-recorded Information Session by clicking here.
You can also email us at email@example.com.