How to Get Teacher Certification in Idaho

With a Bachelor’s degree in hand and a desire to make a difference, the American Board can help you become a teacher in Idaho. In November 2003, the Idaho State Board of Education approved the American Board as a route to full teacher licensure. The Idaho State Department of Education fully recognizes the American Board’s certification for all school districts and charter schools in the state.

Why Choose The American Board?

The American Board offers a flexible, affordable route to earn your Idaho teaching certificate. You can complete our self-paced program online without quitting your job or taking additional college courses.

The 2013 American Board Idaho Teacher of the Year Geoffrey Williams was an engineer before changing careers to become a teacher. Meet other career changers like Williams who chose the American Board, including math teacher Kelly Bow, special education teacher Leah Dow, biology teacher Nick Gastelcutto and English teacher Chuck Foster, and an American Board special education teacher from the Boise area who was featured in The New York Times.

With the American Board, you can earn your Idaho teacher certification in a manner that is both cost-effective and efficient, compared to the estimated 25-30 credit hours required of the other options in Idaho. On average, candidates take 8-10 months to complete the program. We provide a variety of resources to help prepare you for exams including online workshops, practice tests, and support from our advising team.

The American Board is now a Workforce Investment Act (WIA) approved vendor in Idaho. Please check with your local career center to see if you are eligible for reimbursement by the WIA program.

To learn more or enroll, choose your certification area.

For candidates looking to become certified in Elementary Education, please note that your certification will cover grades K-8.  If you are seeking to teach at the middle school level, you will be required to take the Middle School  Praxis Exam for a specific content area.

*Candidates who are seeking an endorsement in Natural Science in Idaho must choose biology, physics or chemistry on their application upon enrollment and pass that selected single subject science assessment in addition to ABCTE general science assessment and PTK assessment.

**In order to obtain a History endorsement in Idaho, candidates must complete both the U.S. History and the World History assessments in addition to passing the PTK assessment.

***In order to be a special education teacher in Idaho, a candidate must obtain an Exceptional Child certificate with a Generalist K-12 endorsement. To obtain this certificate and endorsement through ABCTE a candidate must complete the PTK assessment, the elementary multiple subjects assessment and the special education assessment.

State Requirements

To use the ABCTE program to obtain a teaching certificate in Idaho, you will need to:

1. Complete ABCTE’s certification program

    a. Certificate should be used within 3 years
    b. ABCTE Certificate is used in step 2 below

Idaho State Department of Education Requirements

1. Obtain a full-time teaching position in an Idaho school

2. Apply to Idaho Department of Education for initial Certificate (valid 3 years)

3. Complete two years of mentoring. Mentoring programs are offered at no cost by most Idaho school districts.  Some candidates will also be required to complete the Idaho Comprehensive Literacy Course/Assessment (ICLC/ICLA) and the Mathematical Thinking for Instruction (MTI). For additional information on both of these requirements please see the Idaho Teacher Certification Website:

4. Apply to the Idaho State Department of Education for the Idaho initial credential/certificate  (5-year renewable certificate).

Check out our pre-recorded Information Session by clicking here.


Click Here to start a webinar and live Q & A. Our Sales agents are available 7 days a week 09:00AM – 12:00AM (EST) via chat to answer your questions and help you enroll.

Please note: while we do our best to stay current with state requirements, we are not responsible for any changes to state, district, and school regulations.

Scroll to Top